Tel: 01332 842959
This charming riverside terrace overlooking the River Derwent was formerly know as the ‘ The Bulls Head Inn’ before 1930. In 1823 the victular at the Inn was a Samuel Longdon, the inn at the time had stabling 16 horse sited at Duffield bridge
Duffield. Tel: 01332 841370
Formerly the chief hostelry of the village and was the billeting house for soldiers passing through the village. The last billeting there was about 1880 when a small detachment of horse soldiers spent the night there.
Tel: 01332 841114
Formerly a low thatched building which had a forge attached were they made ‘Pattens’, hence the name. The present building was erected earlier last century on the site of the demolished old building.
Town Street Duffield.
Tel: 01332 841141
Formerly a small stone thatched house which should back from the road with an old tree in front of it. The present building, built in 1939, stands on the site of the old one.
17 New Zealand Lane
Tel: 01332 841156
The old Lord Scarsdale – now known as O-KRA – on New Zealand Lane, is being redesigned by Kim Imtiaz and refurbished. Built in the 1960’s and once named ‘The Scarsdale Arms’.
Bygone public houses..
The Wheatsheaf – now the house called Ivy Lodge on Hazelwood Road.
The Castle – was situated on the south side of William Gilbert’s school playground. this was possibly within the grounds of the site of Duffield castle.
The Crown – at the north-east corner of Crown street but demolished when the railway line to Wirksworth was made.
The Railway – the end cottage on Station Row nearest the railway station. Still standing today but is now a private residence.
The Nags Head – was situated on the eastern side of Town street at the junction with Chapel street.
The New Inn – was situated on Hazelwood Road and ceased trading in the 1990’s.
The Noah’s Ark – was situated twenty yards down the lane leading to Malthouse Yard. This was a famous house to which the farmers would call on their way to Derby market.
The White Lion – was situated in Church Walk. This was the Church Inn where worshippers from distant parts of the parish would put up their horses and take refreshment.
My terms of reference for this information was ‘Duffield in Appletree’ by G. Hickling.